Student Voice is an organisation which encourages students at Outwood Academy Valley to become more engaged with the mechanisms for learning, progress and improvement, both within the Academy and the community. Student Voice is all about listening to students and allowing them to express their opinions, and to have those opinions taken into account, in matters which affect them.
Student Voice gives students the opportunity to suggest, manage and take part in projects which aim to improve the Academy and the wider community.
Students remain at the heart of everything we undertake at Outwood Academy Valley and The Family of Schools, therefore Student Voice is placed at the centre of everything that we undertake. The main objectives are to:
• to embed approaches to teaching and learning that encourage learners to take greater responsibility for their own progress and achievement;
• engage in constructive dialogue with teachers;
• give them the skills and qualities necessary to develop both during their time in the Academy and in future life;
• develop their leadership skills by encouraging innovation and applying it to the pastoral and academic development of the Academy.
Everything that takes place at Outwood Academy Valley is organised through the ‘Deeps’ structure. Student Voice is deliberately positioned centrally in each of the four ‘Deeps’. Within each ‘Deep,’ there are ten satellite groups that are split between Deep Learning, Deep Experience, Deep Support and Deep Leadership; these include: -
• Teaching and learning
• CPA Committee
• Sports Voice
• Peer Mentoring
• Publicity: Radio and Magazine
• Community & Eco and Healthy schools
• VMG Representatives